How to Style Hoodies: Hoodie Outfits For Men
Like it or not, the casual hoodie is making an epic comeback in the world of men’s fashion. It’s a practical garment that should be in every man’s closet. But if you’re new to the hoodie game, here are seven tips on how to style hoodies.
What is a Hoodie?
Hoodies are jackets or sweatshirts with hoods (and usually a front pocket). They can be lightweight, heavy-duty, cropped, loose, or fitted. And although they’re traditionally made from cotton or cotton blends, they can be made from nearly any material (including denim … go figure!). But no matter what a hoodie looks like, or what it’s made from, at its core, it should be comfortable.
History Behind The Hoodie
Like most of today’s fashion, the hoodie all started with function. Back in the 1930s, Champion began crafting high-quality sweatshirts with hoods. This made it easier for athletes and people who worked outdoors to do their thing even if the weather wasn’t great. Soon after, hoodies became a college sports staple.
By the 1970s, they were exploding everywhere across hip-hop, graffiti, and dance culture. Then came the 1980s skater boys and gangster rappers of the 90s sporting stylish hoodies. Flash forward to today, and men everywhere are still rocking the classic hooded sweatshirt.
How to Wear Hoodies
No matter what your style is, you can rock a hoodie like a champ. Dress ‘em up, dress ‘em down, hoodies are great for any occasion. All you need are these easy style tips to get started.
If you want to know how to dress up a hoodie, how to style one, or how to wear one, you’re in the right spot. These hoodie style ideas are perfect for any guy who wants to seriously upgrade their wardrobe — let’s go!
Shirt Over Hoodie
Sport a t-shirt, flannel, or casual shirt over a hoodie for the ultimate nostalgia play. It’s an epic look that’s sure to stand the test of time.
Button Up With Hoodie
Get ready for “Bring Your Hoodie To Work Day.” Team up a button-down with your favorite hooded sweatshirt for a handsome (and casual) Friday look.
Hoodie And Jeans
Sport a hoodie and jeans for those nights you just want to stay in and watch the game with your bros. It’s easy, it’s comfortable, it’s stylish as heck.
Hoodie With Jacket
This one’s a no-brainer, especially if you’re living somewhere that’s cold. Couple up your favorite hoodie with a jacket to stay extra warm on those blustery days.
Blazer Over Hoodie
Not sure what to wear next semester? Opt for a blazer over a cool logo hoodie for a young, smart look. Plus, if you team ‘em up with a pair of fitted shorts, you’ll be the freshest freshman on campus.
Hoodie With Overcoat
If you’re shacking up in Chicago, Boston, or any other city in the Northeast, you’re gonna need to step it up with a hoodie and overcoat. Bonus points if you take this outfit to a tailor!
Suit With Hoodie
Grab a tailored suit, a high-end hoodie, and some minimalist sneakers to complete this look. It’s sure to stun at any interview, autumn wedding, or first date.
Hoodie Fashion Dos and Don’ts
- DO rock a fitted hoodie. Tailored hoodies make for sophisticated pieces.
- DON’T forget to check the weather. Hoodies are designed to keep you warm, but you don’t want to accidentally overheat.
- DO layer hoodies over and under other closet staples.
- DON’T be afraid to mix and match patterns, colors, and materials when you layer.
- DO invest in weather-proof materials. Build a collection of hoodies that’s ready for anything — rain, shine, sleet, or snow.
- DON’T neglect taking care of your hoodies. Just because they’re casual and cozy, doesn’t mean you don’t have to take care of them like any other piece of clothing.
- DO invest in high-quality hoodies. Reach for fleece zips, pull overs, and french terry sweatshirts to complete each look. Just trust us on this one.
- DON’T get quality mixed up with price. Sometimes great hoodies are affordable, and vice versa. So do your research and read reviews to find the best brand.
Ready to shop for more stylish hoodies and sweatshirts? Start styling like a boss with our epic, high-quality sweatshirts that are ready to wear.