As more and more people get outside and reconnect from the chaos of the past year, this Memorial Day feels like a special one.
So, don't let it go by like any other weekend. Use it to have fun, recharge, give back, and honor the people who make the day possible.
True Classic is a big fan of giving back and working together with other organizations to help those in need.
In fact, we’ve partnered with the Tiny House Project in Savannah, Georgia to provide 37 permanent homes and 11 transition homes for veterans. It’s our sustainable way to end homelessness and help bring awareness to a critical issue.
This Memorial Day, don’t get caught unprepared: Here are seven fun ways to celebrate the holiday and make it more memorable than ever before.
7 Epic Memorial Day Ideas for 2021
1. Honor the Military
Start by doing something meaningful and impactful to the people who make it possible - our military. While a lot of us think of it as little more than a long weekend, it’s important to never forget that Memorial Day is a national holiday, dedicated to honoring and mourning our military personnel who have died in the line of duty. Who gave what Abraham Lincoln called, in his Gettysburg Address, the “last full measure of devotion.”
Here are some ways you can honor service members this holiday season:
- Anysoldier.com. This website will help you send a support package to a soldier in any branch, wherever they are in the world.
- Adopt a military family. As men and women serve far away from home, you can adopt a military family and make their lives a bit easier. Check out sites like Soldier’s Angels to learn how you can help out a military family in need.
- Donate or volunteer at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If you can make time, they are always looking for volunteers. If you can’t right now, a donation will still go a long way as well.
- Shop at veteran-owned businesses. Finally, do a quick search for veteran- owned businesses in your area and shop locally. This is more helpful than ever, with so many small businesses struggling to survive in the wake of the covid-19 pandemic.
2. See the Great Outdoors
While parties and gatherings are fun, it’s also the perfect weekend to get outside and enjoy the (fingers crossed!) perfect weather. After being stuck on endless Zoom meetings the past 14 months, the sight of mother nature will feel like a fantastic change of pace.
Here are some fun ways to get out of your house and enjoy the holiday:
- Hit the beach. Who doesn’t love laying out and having fun in the ocean? Bring some of those outdoor games from the barbecue as well.
- Go on a hike. Grab a few friends and family and find a local trail to get outside and get some quality exercise as well.
- Go camping. If you love the outdoors and want to disconnect for a day or two, why not go camping? It’s a great way to recharge, enjoy the great outdoors, and spend time with people you love.
3. Go Tasting
Another fun idea for Memorial Day weekend is grab some friends and go wine or beer tasting. It’s great to test out new spirits and enjoy the venues with your group.
If you have enough people, maybe even find a local party bus to transport you around and go to several locations. Plus, it’s a safe way for everyone to enjoy the holiday responsibly.
4. Host an Epic Party
When people think of Memorial Day or the 4th of July, it’s hard to not imagine a fun outdoor barbecue with friends and family. While this was impossible last year, more and more states are open now so it’s a great time to reconnect with the people who matter most.
But instead of just the usual burgers, brats, and beers, why not mix up the menu a bit?
Here are some ways to make your Memorial Day part unforgettable for everyone who attends:
- Serve up red, white, and blue jello shots.
- Hang red, white, and blue lights and/or streamers/decorations.
- Have outdoor games such as cornhole, bocce ball, and others.
- Theme your menu. You can choose a certain type of style (like Southern BBQ) and have guests bring sides that complement your main dishes.
- Add a hot dog bar or a slider party. If you go the traditional route, make it fun by creating a sort of do-it-yourself hot dog or slider bar. Just chop up other ingredients and toppings like bacon, onions, tomatoes, jalapeños, and more so everyone can customize their own plate.
5. Watch a Patriotic Movie
After the fun of a barbecue or outdoor excursion, why not wind down with a patriotic movie?
Luckily, Hollywood loves making movies about the brave women and men of our military, so there are no shortage of excellent choices. Movies like:
- The Longest Day
- Lone Survivor
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Captain America
- American Sniper
- Saving Private Ryan
- Flags of Our Fathers
- Top Gun
Most are available on our of your favorite streaming services or can rent for a few bucks on Amazon too.
6. Complete a Memorial Day Murph Workout
If you want to honor the military and work on your physique, give the “Murph” workout a shot. This fitness test was was the favorite of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, who was killed in action in 2005.
This bodyweight workout will push your mind and body from start to finish. Here’s how it goes:
- 1-mile run
- 100 pull-ups
- 200 push-ups
- 300 squats
- 1-mile run
Obviously, many of us will struggle to complete this grueling workout, so feel free to adjust the reps and distance as needed. But if you're a real Adonis or Schwarzenegger, you can try throwing on a weighted vest for an extra challenge, just like Michael used to do.
7. Get Caught Up on Life
Often there's a lot of societal pressure to do something fun and glamorous during a long weekend. If you have the time and energy, go for it. If not, don’t!
Sometimes you just need to take care of yourself and spend some quality time alone. One of the greatest things you can do for yourself is to unplug and catch up on life.
Use the long weekend as a time to catch up, set goals for the rest of the year, and reset. The past year has been chaotic for all of us, so it’s vital to ensure your mental and physical health are solid.
Here are some activities to help you recharge over the holiday weekend:
- Hit the spa. Grab a friend and go to a spa for a day for a massage and other treatments to treat your body right.
- Get extra rest. Sleep in or take a few power naps to recharge. Sometimes more sleep is just what you need to get back to equilibrium and start feeling better.
- Mix up your exercise routine. Do something you don’t normally do to keep your body guessing. Whether it’s going for a swim, taking a hike, or going on a long bike ride.
- Meal prep for the week. Hit the grocery store before the crowds and get your meals prepared for the upcoming week. This way you’re more likely to stay on track and hit your fitness goals.
This Memorial Day, whether you’re giving back, having a blast, or simply taking the time to decompress is up to you. But whatever you do this weekend, don’t let it go by like any other. Make it memorable, and fruitful, and give yourself a strong leg up on the rest of the year.